- Take your prenatal vitamins, which should include folic acid (400 micrograms) daily. You also need Omega 3- fatty acids daily. Some prenatal vitamins have started to include this. A pregnant woman needs 1200 – 1500 mg of Calcium daily. You can either get it from dairy products in your diet or by adding supplementation like OSCAL or Vita Chews or Tums.
- If you have a history of a child with a neural tube defect than increase the amount of folic acid to 4 milligrams daily.
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol or use recreational drugs.
- Avoid high temperatures over 100 degrees (no hot tubs or Jacuzzis).
- Drink plenty of water when exercising. Keep your heart rate below 120 beats per minute.
- Do not eat raw meat or eat soft, non-pasteurized cheeses.
- If you have a cat, do not change the kitty litter (risk for toxoplasmosis).
- Do not eat high mercury containing fish: shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish. Limit servings of fish to 2 meals per week. If you are eating albacore tuna then limit servings to once per week.
Request Your Appointment Today!